Abe Sperling papers
Scope and Contents
This collection contains documents relating to Abe Sperling's affidavit about his day of birth, photographs, dogtags, correspondance, a journal, ephemera and documents with his time as an engineer for the Burma Road, a family Hebrew book of prayer, yearbooks for Minneapolis North High School, and ephemera from his time at the University of Minnesota.
- 1896 - 1975
Language of Materials
Materials are in English and Hebrew.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Abe Sperling was born December 27, 1904 in New York City to father Joseph of Russia, and mother Sarah (there is an affidavit for his birthday). Sperling graduated from North High School in 1923 and the University of Minnesota in 1927. Also in 1927, Sperling married Frieda Florence. From July 1943-June 1946 Sperling was in the army as a Major and was an engineer inspector for the completion of the Burma Road.Additionally Sperling was a member of the Grand Lodge A.F. and A.M. freemasons.
1 Linear foot (2 Hollinger boxes)
This collection consists of papers and documents relating to Abe Sperling and his time at North High School in Minneapolis, and his time as a Major with the Burma Road Engineers.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Phyllis Sperling
- Burma Road (China and Burma) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Burma. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jewish men Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minneapolis (Minn.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Participation, Jewish Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Abe Sperling Papers, 1896-1975
- Ashley Skwiera
- October 24, 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note