Adas Israel Congregation records
Scope and Contents
Materials in this collection include certificates, correspondence, financial journals, ledgers, and meeting minutes.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Adas Israel was founded by Lithuanian immigrants in 1885 in Duluth, in an area that is now known as Canal Park. In the early 20th century, Adas Israel was one of three Orthodox synagogues in the area, along with Tifereth Israel (now known as Temple Israel) and B'nai Israel. When B'nai Israel dissolved in 1930, some members joined Adas Israel. The address of the synagogue, at the corner of East Third Street and Third Avenue east, lent the congregation its nickname -- the 3rd Street Shul. By 1973, Adas Israel was the only Orthodox synagogue in Duluth until the establishment of a Chabad Hasidic synagogue in 2001. Adas Israel Congregation currently still operates in its 1902 building at East Third Street and Third Avenue East, with a membership of 75. Services are lay-led with daily minyans, Saturday morning and holiday services.
1 Cubic Foot (3 boxes -- 1 tall Hollinger, 1 cassette tape box, 1 half Hollinger)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of administrative material relating to Adas Israel Congregation in Duluth, Minnesota.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest by the Widdes Family in 1992 and 1993. Collection added to in 2018, donated by David Sher, vice president of Adas Israel and approved by board of trustees.
- Duluth (Minn.) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Jewish cemeteries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews -- Minnesota -- Duluth Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews, East European Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Synagogues Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Adas Israel Congregation Records, 1891-1986
- Finding aid created by Ashley Skwiera
- December 2016
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- January 2018: added new accession