Skip to main content

Jewish Fellowship Club records

 Collection
Identifier: umja0080

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of administrative materials dating between 1927 and 1999 and includes: meeting minutes; financial materials; correspondence; event planning documents; newsletters; ephemera such as stationary, ticket stubs, coat check room tickets; newspaper clippings in scrapbook pages; and planning documents for a Twin Ports Jewish reunion which took place in 1985. The collection also includes two scrapbooks relating to the Jewish Social Service Agency, as well as various materials related to Temple Emanuel.

Dates

  • 1927-1999

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.

Copyright

This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.

Biographical / Historical

The Jewish Fellowship club was a social club whose purpose was "to promote and foster good will and sociability among the Jewish men of Duluth and vicinity; to foster and support the ideals of traditional Judaism and its local institutions; to foster and support Jewish culture and education; and to establish a Jewish center in Duluth." They published a monthly newspaper knowns as the Jewish Fellowship News. Articles of Incorporation for the organization were filed in 1938, although a first meeting took place in 1935 with aims to organize a Jewish Men's club; they met at the local Talmud Torah. The Jewish Fellowship News continued to be published through the 2000s, becoming the designated publication of the organized Jewish community of Duluth and Superior as represented by the Twin Ports Jewish Federation and Community Council. The Jewish Fellowship Club disbanded in the 1990s.

Extent

3.75 Cubic Feet (4 boxes -- 3 Paige boxes, 1 oversize box)

Overview

This collection consists of the administrative materials of the Jewish Fellowship Club, a social group of the Jewish communities in Duluth, Minnesota.

Arrangement

This collection is divided into series:

Series 1: Administrative materials, meeting minutes, and correspondence

Series 2: Jewish Fellowship News

Series 3: Misccellaneous books and media

Series 4: Twin Ports Jewish reunion

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated in December 2016 by Temple Israel, Duluth.
Title
Jewish Fellowship Club records, 1927-1999
Status
Completed
Author
Kate Dietrick
Date
January 2017
Description rules
dacs
Language of description
English

Collecting Area Details

Contact The Upper Midwest Jewish Archives Collecting Area

Contact:

612-625-0192