B'nai B'rith, Superior Lodge records
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of records books, newsletters, and some correspondence, dating between 1931 and 1990.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
B'nai B'rith International has advocated for global Jewry and championed the cause of human rights since 1843. As the largest and oldest Jewish fraternal organization, by 1903 B'nai B'rith had a membership of over 30,000, with more than 330 lodges. The B'nai B'rith lodge located in Superior, Wisconsin was known as the Theodore Roosevelt Lodge, #844. The group was chartered on June 30, 1919 with 23 charter members. The all-male group helped financially support the local Jewish community; held events and speakers on topics of interest to Jewish community members; and held fundraising dinners. The group also spearheaded securing funds for constructing a synagogue in Superior in the 1960s.
1 Cubic Foot (2 Hollinger boxes)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of records and newletters of related to the Superior, Wisconsin chapter of B'nai B'rith, an international Jewish advocacy group.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest by member Harry Bear in 1993.
- Human rights advocacy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews -- Wisconsin Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Social advocacy Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Social justice Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Zionism Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- B'nai B'rith, Superior Lodge records, 1931-1990
- Kate Dietrick
- February 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description