Skip to main content

Sholom Auxiliary records

 Collection
Identifier: umja0091

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of scrapbooks, which include clippings of newspapers, ephemeral materials, and photographs related to their fundraising efforts for Sholom, most notably their Sholom Ball. There are also administrative materials, which include planning documents; meeting minutes; budgets and finances; constitution and by-laws; newsletters; and programs. Materials date between 1960 and 1985.

Dates

  • 1960-1985

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.

Copyright

This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.

Biographical / Historical

Sholom, also known as Sholom Home, has its roots in two separate organizations. In 1890 a group that later became known as the Jewish Home for the Aged began under the Charity Loan Society. The Charity Loan Society first looked to provide settlement assistance to new immigrants, but later changed their focus to the Jewish elderly. In 1903 the organization changed its name to reflect its new purpose -- the Charity Loan Society and Old Women's Home -- and they first opened in St. Paul, Minnesota in an old mansion at 75 Wilkin Street. Taking in only residents in good health, they started with an initial eight residents. Their focus was primarily on providing assistance to the poor, elderly members of the Orthodox Jewish community, and they later changed their name to the Jewish Home for the Aged. The women's auxiliary group raised funds to cover expenses with events such as the gala Purim Ball which at the time was one of the grand social events in the Jewish community.

Meanwhile, another group, the Daughters of Abraham, formed in 1918 with the goal of establishing a kosher facility for the infirm elderly, eventually forming the Sholom Residence at 45 South Saint Albans in St. Paul and changed their name to the Sholom Auxiliary. The two organizations eventually merged in 1971, forming Sholom Home, Inc. The merging of the auxiliary groups was successful, with continued fundraising to support Sholom. The Sholom Ball was introduced as a huge fundraiser of the season. In 1995, the Sholom Home merged again with the Community Housing and Service Corporation, creating the Sholom Community Alliance.

Sholom has two campuses -- Sholom West, in St. Louis Park, and Sholom East, in St. Paul -- and still exists today, providing residential, social service, and health care services for older adults. More information can be found on their website at www.sholom.com.

Extent

1.5 Cubic Feet (4 boxes -- 1 Hollinger, 1 half Hollinger, 2 oversize flat boxes)

Overview

This collection consists of scrapbooks, meeting minutes, newsletters, and board materials from the Sholom Auxiliary and Sholom Home, an elderly care facility in the Twin Cities.

Arrangement

This collection is divided into series:

Series 1: Scrapbooks, Newsclippings, and Photographs

Series 2: Administrative materials and meeting minutes

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest in 1994 by Ruth Ann Schumeister on behalf of Sholom Home Auxiliary.

Creator

Title
Sholom Auxiliary scrapbooks, 1960-1985
Status
Completed
Author
Kate Dietrick
Date
March 2017
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Collecting Area Details

Contact The Upper Midwest Jewish Archives Collecting Area

Contact:

612-625-0192