Skip to main content

Temple Beth El (Superior, Wisc.) records

 Collection
Identifier: umja0100

Scope and Contents

Materials date between 1921 and 1991, consisting of correspondence, financal documents, newspaper articles, and meeting minutes from the Ladies Aid and Women's League as well as Temple Beth El.

Dates

  • 1921-1991

Creator

Language of Materials

Materials are in English and Yiddish.

Conditions Governing Access

Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.

Copyright

This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.

Biographical / Historical

Temple Beth El began in 1905 as an Orthodox congregation then known as West Superior Synagogue. Their first location was in a church basement at the First Presbyterian Church of West Superior. In 1905 the framework for their own building began, at 602 Hammond Avenue; renovations to the building were completed in 1917. In the 1920s their name changed to the Superior Hebrew Congregation. By 1947 the congregation became affiliated with the Conservative movement. In 1964 a new building was created, located at 604 Faxon Street. The congregation eventually closed in 1993, and the building is now occupied by The Vineyard Church.

Extent

1 Cubic Foot (3 boxes -- 2 Hollinger boxes, 1 half Hollinger box)

Overview

This collection consists administrative and board materials from the Temple Beth El, a synagogue located in Superior, Wisconsin.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest in 1990 by Lenore Bear on behalf of Temple Beth El.
Title
Temple Beth El (Superior, Wisc.) records, 1921-1991
Status
Completed
Author
Erin Smerage and Kate Dietrick
Date
June 2017
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Collecting Area Details

Contact The Upper Midwest Jewish Archives Collecting Area

Contact:

612-625-0192