Rabbi Sylvan Kamens eulogies
Scope and Contents
This collection consists entirely of typed eulogies for various Jewish community members. Each eulogy is typed on a notecard and includes the person's name, date of passing, and Hebrew name. Each folder has a note including whose eulogy is included in the folder.
- Kamens, Sylvan, Rabbi (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Rabbi Sylvan D. Kamens was raised in Philadelphia, earned a teachers diploma in Hebrew education from Gratz College in 1954, and received bachelor's degrees from Temple University and Gratz in 1956. He was ordained at the Jewish Theological Seminary in 1961. Rabbi Kamens served as an Air Force chaplain in England from 1961-1963. He served at Tifereth Israel in Duluth, Minnesota, 1963-1969; as assistant rabbi at Temple of Aaron in St. Paul, Minnesota, 1969-1972; as rabbi of B'nai Emet, St. Louis Park, Minnesota, 1972-1983; and served at Temple Beth El in Akron, Ohio.
0.80 Cubic Feet (2 Hollinger boxes)
This collection consists of eulogies written by Rabbi Sylvan Kamens from 1965 to 1983 during his tenures at Minnesota synagogues.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Rabbi Sylvan Kamens to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest in 1998.
- Eulogies Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews -- Education Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Jews -- Minnesota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Judaism -- Chaplains Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Synagogue Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Rabbi Sylvan Kamens eulogies, 1965-1983
- Kate Dietrick
- July 2017
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description