Skip to main content

Fargo Hebrew Congregation records

 Collection
Identifier: umja0126

Scope and Contents

This collection consists of meeting minutes, finances, reports, and board materials from the Fargo Hebrew Congregation and Ladies Aid, B'nai B'rith, and Hadassah. The collection also includes photographs, news clippings, and certificates.

Dates

  • 1896-2002

Conditions Governing Access

Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.

Copyright

This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.

Biographical / Historical

The history of the Fargo Hebrew Congregation dates back to 1896 when the congregation was incorporated by three Jewish leaders of Fargo, North Dakota. Services were held in local homes until 1906 when a synagogue was built at the intersection of First Avenue South and Fifth Street. In 1901, the Fargo Hebrew Ladies Society was founded; they organized social events and fundraisers throughout the years. In the 1940s, some families left the Orthodox congregation to form Temple Beth El, a Reform congregation.

In 1954 the building suffered a fire and was eventually demolished; a new building was erected at 901 9th Street South. The synagogue ceased regular weekly services in 1990 and ended high holiday services in 1999 before eventually closing the building and congregation in 2002. At that time, the Fargo Hebrew Congregation was the last Orthodox Jewish synagogue in the Dakotas.

Extent

0.50 Cubic Feet (1 tall Hollinger box)

Overview

This collection consists of board and administrative materials from the Fargo Hebrew Congregation, an Orthodox Jewish synagogue in Fargo, North Dakota that served the local Jewish community from 1896 to 2002.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

This collection was donated by Michael Bernath in October 2017.
Title
Fargo Hebrew Congregation records, 1896-2002
Status
Completed
Author
Erin Smerage
Date
October 2017
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English

Collecting Area Details

Contact The Upper Midwest Jewish Archives Collecting Area

Contact:

612-625-0192