Skip to main content

Hadassah, Duluth chapter records

 Collection
Identifier: umja0132

Scope and Contents

This collection dates between 1926 and 1993 and consists of scrapbooks, bulletins, flyers, photographs, and newspaper clippings from the Duluth chapter of Hadassah, as well as publications from the Upper Midwest region of Hadassah.

Dates

  • 1926-1993

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.

Copyright

This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.

Biographical / Historical

When Hadassah, the Women's Zionist Organization of America was founded in New York in 1912, Israel was not yet a state. Yet founder Henrietta Szold called for practical Zionism as she began proactive fundraising to meet the health needs of Palestine's people. Hadassah eventually grew to a nationwide social advocacy group engaging Jewish women to effect change in support for the people of Israel; currently there are 330,000 members and supporters nationwide. Their mission as a volunteer organization is to inspire passion for and commitment to its partnership with the land and people of Israel.

The Duluth chapter of Hadassah began in 1926 at the home of Fanny Weiner. The organization reached its peak membership of nearly 400 members in the late 1940s. The chapter was involved in fundraising for the community as well as hosting educational programs for their members. Their civic involvement included running War Bond booths during World War II, partnering with Meals on Wheels to pack and deliver meals to local hospitals, and working on the Women of the Year luncheons. Two Duluth members went on to serve as Regional President -- Cecil Greenberg from 1959-1960, and Eudice Gallop from 1976-1979.

Extent

1.15 Cubic Feet (1 Paige box)

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

This collection consists of scrapbooks from the Duluth chapter of Hadassah, a women's Zionist organization interested in fundraising for social services.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated to the Jewish Historical Society of the Upper Midwest by various people over time, including the Upper Midwest Region of Hadassah organization.
Title
Hadassah, Duluth chapter records, 1926-1993
Status
Completed
Author
Erin Smerage
Date
December 2017
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Collecting Area Details

Contact The Upper Midwest Jewish Archives Collecting Area

Contact:

612-625-0192