Jewish War Veterans Auxiliary records
Scope and Contents
Collection consists of meeting minutes, photographs, membership pins, and a hat.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
The Jewish War Veterans began in 1896 as the Hebrew Union Veterans, created by Civil War veterans to dispel incorrect information regarding Jews and service to their country dating back to the Revolutionary Era. Later named the Jewish War Veterans of the United States of America, shortened to JWV, it is the oldest veterans organization in the United States. Post 331 in Minneapolis was one of three posts in Minnesota. The Jewish War Veterans Auxiliary group consisted of women who also supported the work of the JWV.
Materials were collected by Lorrie Shapiro, a former President of the Auxiliary.
0.20 Cubic Feet (1 half Hollinger box)
Language of Materials
This collection consists of materials related to the Jewish War Veterans Auxiliary Post 331 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by Judith Juhl in August 2019. Materials belonged to her mother, Lorrie Shapiro.
- Jewish War Veterans of the United States, Inc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jewish veterans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Veterans -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- World War, 1939-1945 -- Veterans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jewish War Veterans Auxiliary records, 1950-1978
- Kate Dietrick and Hannah Mallek
- December 2019
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description