Skip to main content

Jewish War Veterans Auxiliary records

 Collection
Identifier: umja0167

Scope and Contents

Collection consists of meeting minutes, photographs, membership pins, and a hat.

Dates

  • 1950-1978

Conditions Governing Access

Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.

Copyright

This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.

Biographical / Historical

The Jewish War Veterans began in 1896 as the Hebrew Union Veterans, created by Civil War veterans to dispel incorrect information regarding Jews and service to their country dating back to the Revolutionary Era. Later named the Jewish War Veterans of the United States of America, shortened to JWV, it is the oldest veterans organization in the United States. Post 331 in Minneapolis was one of three posts in Minnesota. The Jewish War Veterans Auxiliary group consisted of women who also supported the work of the JWV.

Materials were collected by Lorrie Shapiro, a former President of the Auxiliary.

Extent

0.20 Cubic Feet (1 half Hollinger box)

Language of Materials

English

Overview

This collection consists of materials related to the Jewish War Veterans Auxiliary Post 331 in Minneapolis, Minnesota.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Donated by Judith Juhl in August 2019. Materials belonged to her mother, Lorrie Shapiro.
Title
Jewish War Veterans Auxiliary records, 1950-1978
Status
Completed
Author
Kate Dietrick and Hannah Mallek
Date
December 2019
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Collecting Area Details

Contact The Upper Midwest Jewish Archives Collecting Area

Contact:

612-625-0192