Liberty Garment Manufacturing Company records
Scope and Contents
This collection consists of administrative materials such as correspondence, meeting minutes, and financial documents, as well as publicity materials including advertisement newspaper clippings, product booklets with fabric samples, photographs, and clothing labels for various products.
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Elmer L. Andersen Library reading room.
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Liberty Garment Manufacturing Company was a successful men's garment business located in Minneapolis. The business began in 1920 under owners R. Sigelman, Lois Locketz, Joe Nahamkin, and Max Rosen in Fergus Falls, Minnesota. By 1933, Louis Locketz and C.H. Shussein bought out the other owners and eventually moved the business to Minneapolis. The business specialized in men's topcoats, overcoats, and stormcoats. Partners in the business venture by the 1950s were Harold Locketz, Louis Locketz, J. Seymour Locketz, and Sidney Locketz.
1.5 Cubic Feet (2 boxes -- (1 legal size Hollinger, 1 oversize box))
Language of Materials
This collection consists of materials and publicity from the Liberty Garment Manufacturing Company, a Jewish-owned business located in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Donated by David Locketz and his father in December 2019.
- Clothing trade -- United States Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jewish businessmen Subject Source: Local sources
- Jewish merchants Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Jews -- Minnesota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Men's clothing Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Liberty Garment Manufacturing Company records, 1920-1984
- Kate Dietrick and Hannah Mallek
- January 2020
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description