Leonard Lewisohn collection of Robert Bly poetry translation materials
Scope and Content Note
This collection contains two compact discs of Robert Bly's 2002 London reading of Hafez and Rumi poetry in translation, as well as correspondence documenting the ultimately unsuccessful efforts to publish the recording in the United Kingdom. In addition, there are poster advertisements from various Bly readings, and a photograph of Bly reading Rumi and Hafez poetry in 1992. There is also a 2008 edition of Shokaran, a literary magazine published in Tehran, Iran, devoted entirely to Bly's poetry, translated into Persian.
- 1990-1992, 2002-2003, 2008-2009
- Lewisohn, Leonard (Person)
Language of Materials
English and Persian
Restrictions on Access
The collection is open and available for use by researchers in the Andersen Library Reading Room.
Restrictions on Use
Lewisohn must be contacted before the publication of any reference to materials in the collection or reproduction of materials in the collection. Copyright retained by the creator.
Leonard Lewisohn is a Lecturer and Iran Heritage Foundation Fellow in Persian and Sufi Literaure at the University of Exeter in the United Kingdom. He has written widely on Persian poetry, and collaborated with Robert Bly to publish Angels knocking on the tavern door : thirty poems of Hafez(Harper Collins, 2008).
0.1 Cubic Feet (4 folders, 2 compact discs)
This collection contains audio recordings of a 2002 London reading of Persian poetry in translation by poet and translator Robert Bly, correspondence regarding publishing the recordings, and posters of various Bly readings. In addition, there is a 2008 edition of Shokaran, a literary magazine published in Tehran, Iran, devoted entirely to Bly's poetry.
The files are arranged alphabetically.
Mezz (R69, D6, S6); AV (R2, D2, S4)
Collection was donated by the collector in 2009.
The collection was processed and the finding aid written by Ann Mulfort in 2010.
- Bly, Robert
- Correspondence. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lewisohn, Leonard
- Poetry -- Translating Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Poets Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sound recordings Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Translators Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Leonard Lewisohn collection of Robert Bly poetry translation materials, 1990-1992, 2002-2003, 2008-2009
- Ann Mulfort
- April 2010
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Upper Midwest Literary Archives Collecting Area