Village of Horche, Spain Records and Papers
Scope and Content
This collection focuses largely on real estate transactions, testaments, and matters related to censos (investments in local chaplaincies). The real estate acquisitions of José Gallego in the mid-nineteenth century form a significant part of the collection. The collection also contains Spanish government tax documents, village of Horche administrative records, private legal disputes, a defamation case, bills and correspondence from attorneys and notaries, a monastic inventory, and a debt imprisonment case, among others. Knowledge of the Spanish language and familiarity with the paleography of the period covered by this collection is recommended.
- Residents of Horche, Spain (Person)
Language of Materials
Collection is open for research with no restrictions.
It is the user’s responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. See curator for questions.
1.75 Linear Feet (4 boxes containing four hundred and twelve documents in eighty-six folders) : Materials are all handwritten, ink on paper; some of the documents are printed forms with manuscript completion.
The collection of manuscripts and printed documents contains records of the private and commercial affairs of citizens of the village of Horche, Spain, between the late 17th and late 19th centuries.
The records and papers are arranged in six series, five of which have been further arranged in subseries. The contents of each series or subseries were arranged chronologically by the archivist. The series and subseries arrangement of the records is as follows:
Series 1: Commercial Affairs
- Subseries 1: Real Estate Transactions
- Subseries 2: Miscellaneous Business
Series 2: Judicial Affairs
Series 3: Ecclesiastical Affairs
- Subseries 1: Documents Related to Chaplaincies
- Subseries 2: Documents Related to Investments (Censos)
- Subseries 3: Miscellaneous Business
Series 4: Wills and Testaments
- Subseries 1: Wills and Testaments and Related Documents
- Subseries 2: Partitions of Goods among Heirs (Hijuelas)
Series 5: Government Business
- Subseries 1: Royal
- Subseries 2: Province of Guadalajara
- Subseries 3: Village of Horche
Series 6: Gallego Family Papers
- Subseries 1: José Gallego, 1 a. Real Estate Acquisitions
- Subseries 1: José Gallego, 1 b. Miscellaneous Affairs
- Subseries 2: Maria Gertrudis Alvares, 2 a. Testament and Related Documents
- Subseries 2: Maria Gertrudis Alvares, 2 b. Miscellaneous Affairs
- Subseries 3: Carlos Gallego
Bell Library Call Number
Collection Accession Number:
- Manuscripts, Spanish - Specimens Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Real property-Spain Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spain - Bishopric of Guadalajara - History to 1890 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spain - History to 1890 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spain-Commerce-History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Village of Horche, Spain Records and Papers, 1664-1890
- Kevin D. Mummey
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
- July 2021: Several documents renumbered to correct errors; some corrections to descriptive text; additional documents added..