Viceroyalty of Peru records
Scope and Content
The six folios pertain to the administration of the Viceroyalty of Peru, and cover royal taxation, the tobacco monopoly, and the import-export sector. Folio #1 is a record of royal income and ecclesiastical tax (media anata) receipts for 1734. Folio #2 is a record of the sales tax (alcabala) receipts for Arequipa, Peru in 1783. Folio #3 is a letter book of the royal tobacco monopoly (estanco) in 1777, and folio #4 is a record of the production and exportation of tobacco from the viceroyalty in 1781. Folio #5 is a log of merchandise exported from Peru that was shipped to Spain and various ports in 1791. Folio #6 is an account book of the customs warehouse (caxa de Almacen) for transactions between March 1810 and March 1812.
- Peru (Viceroyalty) (Organization)
Language of Materials
Collection is open for research with no restrictions.
It is the user’s responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. See curator for questions.
6 Volumes : Manuscript; ink on paper. Bound in limp vellum with titles written on outside front cover.
The collection contains six bound volumes of manuscript materials from eighteenth and early nineteenth century Peru. The folios pertain to the administration of the Viceroyalty of Peru between 1734 and 1812. Records of royal taxation, the royal tobacco monopoly, and royal oversight of imports and exports are included in the collection.
The records were arranged thematically by the archivist in one series, folios #1-6.
Bell Library Call Number
Collection Accession Number:
- Arequipa (Peru) -- History -- 19th century -- Sources Subject Source: Local sources
- Latin America -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Lima (Peru) -- History -- Sources Subject Source: Local sources
- Manuscripts, Spanish - Specimens Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Merchants -- Peru -- 18th century -- Sources Subject Source: Local sources
- Merchants -- Peru -- 19th century -- Sources Subject Source: Local sources
- Peru -- History -- 1734-1812 Subject Source: Local sources
- Viceroyalty of Peru Records, 1734-1812
- Kevin D. Mummey
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note