14th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains newspaper clippings, 1929–1948; photographs circa 1898, scrapbook with newspaper clippings,1887–1898; and two letters, 1889–1930. Most of the clippings describe the time the regiment spent at Camp George H. Thomas in Georgia, the photographs appear to depict that camp as well. Clippings from 1887-1888 are unrelated to the 14th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry.
- Majority of material found in 1898
- 14th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
The 3rd Regiment, Minnesota National Guard, became the 14th Minnesota, U.S. Volunteer Infantry, mustering into federal service in May 1898. Sent to Georgia with the 12th Minnesota, the regiment eventually transferred to Camp Poland in Knoxville, Tennessee, and returned to St. Paul in September 1898.
An incident among the Ojibwa at Leech Lake brought a company of the 14th to northern Minnesota where it participated in the Battle of Sugar Point, before mustering out in November.
1.50 Linear Inches
Language of Materials
The collection contains newspaper clippings, 1929–1948; photographs circa 1898, scrapbook with newspaper clippings,1887–1898; and two letters, 1889–1930.
This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 218-726-8526.
This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library, and are on permanent loan from the St. Louis County Historical Society.
- Minnesota. National Guard
- Newspaper clippings Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Servicemen, Military Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spanish-American War, 1898 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Veterans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the 14th Minnesota Volunteer Infantry Regiment records
- Finding Aid Authors: Staff.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001