American Association of University Women, Duluth Branch records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains annual reports, legal records, correspondence, committee materials, financial records, publications, photographs and ten scrapbooks. The Branch is well documented from its origin until the early 1960s, except for committee materials which generally over 1950 through 1965.
Articles of Incorporation, 1916-1997, include revisions of the articles and some correspondence, as well as operating codes for each committee and executive position, 1960-1997.
Committee Materials, 1915-1994, consist of minutes, correspondence and reference materials for the major committees, including studies of special topics such as aging, mental illness, and the family.
Social and Economic Issues, 1944-1990s
Correspondence, 1942, 1961-2002
Financial Materials, 1922-2012
Minnesota Division, 1923-1990
Photographs, not dated
President's Files, 1914-1954, largely consist of news-clippings and reference materials concerning branch presidents. The files are incomplete and contain little correspondence.
Publications, 1913-2014, see also NEMHC Serials collection for The Lob Tree, Minnesota Pine
Scrapbooks, 1929-1949, 1982-1995
- Creation: 1908-2011
- American Association of University Women. Duluth Branch (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
After an unsuccessful attempt to organize in 1894, the Duluth Branch of the Association of Collegiate Alumnae was formed in 1908 "for practical education work" and "the promotion of public interest in education and general culture." Since membership was limited to women holding degrees from member colleges, an affiliate, called the College Club, was formed in 1910 to accept women who were not fully qualified to join the Association. The Branch was incorporated in 1916.
In 1921 the Association merged with the Western Association of Collegiate Alumnae and the Southern Association of University Women to become the American Association of University Women. The nature of the Duluth Branch was unchanged by this merger, and by 1922 the organization claimed 183 paid members.
The Branch continued its educational goals and organized a number of committees relating to art, international relations, social and economic issues, the status of women, etc. The Branch has also studied special topics under the guidance of the national Association.
6.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection contains annual reports, legal records, correspondence, committee materials, financial records, publications, photographs and ten scrapbooks.
This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 218-726-8526.
This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library.
- Guide to the American Association of University Women, Duluth Branch records
- Finding Aid Authors: B.H. Bruemmer, Staff, P. Maus.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001