Thomas Clark, II papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains a diary, notebook, letter press of Clark & Relf, 1865-1871; some correspondence, 1861-1866; and biographical information. The diary, covering May 1854-July 1855, contains land descriptions, small maps and other notes. It is illegible in parts and is accompanied by a typed copy. The notebook, 1860, contains thoughts concerning the resources of northern Minnesota and the advantages of constructing the St. Paul and Lake Superior Railroad. The biographical information includes a paper, 1941, by Maude L. Lindquist about Thomas Clark, II.
- Majority of material found in 1854-1871, 1942-1943
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Thomas Clark II was born in Jefferson County, New York on January 6, 1814. A lawyer and surveyor, Clark came to Superior, Wisconsin in 1854 to survey land for the R. B. Carlton Company. He stayed in the area until 1857 when he moved to Beaver Bay, Minnesota. In 1859, Clark served a term in the Minnesota State Senate. Later, he moved back to Superior where he served as County Judge of Douglas County. Clark died at Superior on December 20, 1878.
2.00 Linear Inches
Language of Materials
The collection contains a diary, notebook, letter press of Clark & Relf, 1865-1871; some correspondence, 1861-1866; and biographical information.
This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 218-726-8526.
This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library, and are on permanent loan from the St. Louis County Historical Society.
- Beaver Bay (Minn.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Biography Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Courts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Diaries Subject Source: Local sources
- Douglas County (Wis.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Elected officials Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Maps Subject Source: Local sources
- Minnesota. Legislature. Senate
- Superior (Wis.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Superior (Wis.)--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Thomas Clark, II papers
- Finding Aid Authors: B.H. Bruemmer.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001