Arthur F. M. Custance music scores collection
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of music scores in both manuscript and published form. Individual pieces have been arranged for choir. The paper is brittle and edges are ragged.
- circa 1892–1926
- Custance, Arthur F. M., 1866-1926 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Arthur F. M. Custance was born in Hereford, England, the son and grandson of clergymen of the Church of England. He graduated from Oxford, Brasenose College, with a bachelor's degree in music. Mr. Custance taught music and/or Latin in Wales followed by a two year teaching period in New Brunswick. He came to Duluth from New Brunswick apparently in 1892. Although Custance taught Latin for 34 years at the High School and then Central High School, he was more widely known as a composer and concert master. He was choir master and organist for many years at St. Paul’s Episcopal church of Duluth. His best known musical score, perhaps, is “Taps”, written for the words by H. S. Spencer of the U.S. Navy. Many of his songs were used in Masonic degree work throughout the country, but the music of this collection reflects a considerable interest in sacred music. Many of the pieces indicate his work was published and distributed. In June, 1926, he married Alberta Hewitt. He died August 21, 1926, with services held form the Masonic Temple, August 24, and interment at Forest Hill cemetery.
5.00 Linear Inches
Language of Materials
The collection consists of music scores in both manuscript and published form.
This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at email@example.com or 218-726-8526.
This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library.
- Choirs (Music) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Churches Subject Source: Local sources
- Freemasons Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Music Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Music Scores Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Organ music Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Publications Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Sheet music Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- St. Paul's Episcopal Church (Duluth, Minn.)
- Teachers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Arthur F. M. Custance music scores collection
- Finding Aid Authors: Staff.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001