Skip to main content

Duluth Art Institute records

 Collection
Identifier: S3056

Scope and Contents

The collection contains one folder of pre-1919 miscellaneous material which includes copies of 1872-1900 exhibition programs and clippings; minutes of the Association from 1919-1931; minutes and incorporation document from 1946 describing the merger into Duluth Art Institute; Duluth Art Institute board and membership minutes to 2007, office files, programs, exhibits, arranged alphabetically.

Dates

  • 1872-2007

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.

Biographical / Historical

The Duluth Art Association was incorporated in Duluth, Minnesota in 1907 to advance "the knowledge and love of art through exhibitions and acquisitions." The Association became inactive in the 1930s when a second group, the Duluth Art Institute Association, was active. In 1946, the two organizations consolidated and took the newer organization's name: Duluth Art Institute Association. The name was later shortened to the Duluth Art Institute. Since 1976, the Duluth Art Institute’s has been located in the St. Louis County Heritage and Arts Center, formerly the Union Depot, which houses a number of arts and cultural agencies.  In 1993 the Duluth Art Institute opened a second location in the former Lincoln branch library in Lincoln Park (West End). The Duluth Art Institute sponsors the Arrowhead Biennial Exhibition. Originally this annual show was called the Arrowhead Art Exhibit. It is the oldest continuous visual art exhibition in the state of Minnesota.

Extent

25.00 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The collection contains one folder of pre-1919 miscellaneous material which includes copies of 1872-1900 exhibition programs and clippings; minutes of the Association from 1919-1931; minutes and incorporation document from 1946 describing the merger into Duluth Art Institute; Duluth Art Institute board and membership minutes to 2007, office files, programs, exhibits, arranged alphabetically.

Physical Location

This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at libarchives@d.umn.edu or 218-726-8526.

Related Materials:

NEMHC Serials Collection Duluth Art Institute newsletter

NEMHC Serials Collection Duluth Art Institute Annual Report

Physical Description

20 boxes

General

This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library.

Creator

Title
Guide to the Duluth Art Institute records
Author
Finding Aid Authors: P. Maus, Staff.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Collecting Area Details

Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area

Contact:
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001
(218) 726-8526