Duluth Chamber of Commerce records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains two minute books; news clippings, 1933-1971; correspondence, 1890-1986; articles of incorporation and by-laws, 1902; pamphlets; and photographs. The minute books include board of directors’ minutes for 1889, and the minutes of a transportation sub-committee, June 1908-April 1911. The pamphlets include some annual reports and membership lists. Guest list of luncheon honoring Julius H. Barnes, January 11, 1930.
- Duluth Chamber of Commerce (Duluth, Minn.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
The Duluth Chamber of Commerce was organized in Duluth, Minnesota in 1870 to promote “commercial and manufacturing interests and the general welfare of the City of Duluth and St. Louis County.” The Chamber of Commerce was reorganized in 1883 and suffered a fire in 1889 that destroyed many of its records. The City of Duluth withdrew its annual support of the organization in 1893, thus forcing the Chamber of Commerce to look for other areas of support. Eventually it merged with the Duluth Commercial Club in 1902, and the organizations’ name remained as such until 1930, when it changed its name back to the Duluth Chamber of Commerce. In 1924 the Chamber of Commerce began publication of the Duluthian.
6.00 Linear Inches
Language of Materials
The collection contains two minute books; news clippings, 1933-1971; correspondence, 1890-1986; articles of incorporation and by-laws, 1902; pamphlets; and photographs.
This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at email@example.com or 218-726-8526.
Folders, One Volume, Two Boxes of Photographs
This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library, and are on permanent loan from the St. Louis County Historical Society.
- Articles of incorporation Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Associations, institutions, etc. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Barnes, Julius H. (Julius Howland), 1873-1959
- Business Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Businesses Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- By-laws Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Local sources
- Duluth (Minn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minutes Subject Source: Local sources
- Newspaper clippings Subject Source: Local sources
- Organizations Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Publications Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Duluth Chamber of Commerce records
- Finding Aid Authors: B.H. Bruemmer, P. Maus.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001