Duluth News Tribune slide shows
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of two 25 minute slide shows from 1977. The titles are Your Newspaper, An Exciting World at Your Fingertips (1977), describes production of a newspaper in 71 color slides; and Newspapers and Schools Hand in Hand for Education (1977), is slides of historical Duluth buildings, newspaper publishers, front pages of early Duluth newspapers and Duluth selected school buildings, The College of St. Scholastica and University of Minnesota Duluth in slide 62 [no slide 47] Color slides.
- Duluth News Tribune (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Robert C. Mitchell, veteran newspaper man, established the Superior Tribune in 1869 in Superior, Wisconsin. The Duluth News Tribune was described by Mitchell as an outgrown of the Superior Tribune. He moved it to Duluth, and the first issue of the weekly was offered on Tuesday afternoon, May 3, 1870. The Tribune continued as a weekly until May 15, 1872, when it became a six column daily paper. During 1870-1872 the staff was about 15. The nation-wide financial panic of 1873 dropped the paper back to a weekly. Four-fifths of the local businesses failed or stopped. For the next two years the paper was produced by Mitchell, one additional man, and one boy. May 1881 it was again a daily. Mitchell sold the Duluth Tribune in 1889. It was again sold in November, 1892, and was called the News-Tribune. It was the morning paper. The Duluth News - Tribune was last published as a daily on July 31, 1982. The competitor evening newspaper, the Duluth Herald, was last published as a daily on July 30, 1982. The two merged as an evening daily and called by the name News Tribune & Herald beginning on August 2, 1982. However, ownership and shifts resulted in the appearance of The Duluth News-Tribune on December 6, 1987. The "The" was later dropped as well as the hyphen. The Duluth News Tribune was first online in 1992. It publised a 125th anniversary book in 1994 featuring selected front page stories.
Language of Materials
The collection consists of two 25 minute slide shows from 1977.
This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 218-726-8526.
This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library.
- Audiocassettes Subject Source: Local sources
- Duluth (Minn.)--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Duluth News Tribune (Duluth, Minn. : 1892)
- Duluth News-Tribune (Duluth, Minn. : 1987)
- Education Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Elementary schools Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspapers Subject Source: Local sources
- Slides Subject Source: Local sources
- Guide to the Duluth News Tribune slide shows
- Finding Aid Authors: P. Maus.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001