Duluth Playhouse records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains minutes, 1912-1929, 1949-1969; blueprints of the Little Theater; a dissertation on the Duluth Playhouse by Fred W. Meitzer, 1966; programs, reference materials, photographs, and newsclippings, 1914-1975. The collection also includes scrapbooks, 1914-1945; Duluth Playhouse Guild record book, 1955-1955/1956 season; scrapbook with photographs of 1929/1930 season; Little Theater photographs, 1929-1933; membership lists and Drama League membership lists,1914-1917; Treasurer's Ledger of Receipts and Disbursements, 1914-1921; Camera Views of the Duluth Little Theater, 1936-1937 by Jack C. Brockway; by-law revisions; The Theater magazine, bound, January-December 1911; Golden Anniversary Program and text of speakers introductory remarks, November, 1964; photographs and playbills 1932-1983/1984 season.
- Duluth Playhouse (Duluth, Minn.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
The Duluth Center of the Drama League of America was organized in 1912 "to stimulate interest in the best drama." The Center was incorporated in 1914 and occupied a church at 9th Ave. E. and 1st St. in Duluth. The Center was reorganized in 1926 as the Little Theater of Duluth and a year later moved into a new theater at 6 S. 12th Ave. East. In 1941 the organization became known as the Duluth Playhouse. The Playhouse relocated to the St. Louis County Heritage and Arts Center in 1977 after a fire destroyed the old theater in 1971.
3.75 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
Contains a variety of records related to the Duluth Playhouse, a local theater group.
This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at email@example.com or 218-726-8526.
This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library, and are on permanent loan from the St. Louis County Historical Society.
- Account books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Acting Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Actors. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Architectural drawings Subject Source: Local sources
- By-laws Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Ledgers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Membership Lists Subject Source: Local sources
- Minutes Subject Source: Local sources
- Newspaper clippings Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Programs Subject Source: Local sources
- Publications Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Local sources
- Theater Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Theaters Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Duluth Playhouse records
- Finding Aid Authors: B.H. Bruemmer, P. Maus.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001