Skip to main content

Duluth United Methodist Union records

 Collection
Identifier: S2441

Scope and Contents

The collection contains a small number of items relating to the financial and organizational operation of the Duluth United Methodist Union. A number of items contain names of officers and involved lay people. A brief history and a longer draft history from 1975 and 1978 are part of the records.

Dates

  • 1954-1978

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.

Biographical / Historical

On March 17, 1891, the Act of Incorporation of the Methodist Episcopal Alliance of Duluth, Minnesota, was filed. On August 11, 1915, the name of the Methodist Episcopal Alliance was changed to the Methodist Episcopal Union of Duluth. The general purpose of the Union was "to promote, enlarge, and direct the missionary and church extension work of the religious denomination known as the Methodist Church in Duluth and its immediate vicinity." The 50th Anniversary of the Union was held at the First Methodist Church. Between 1946 and 1953, there were no written records of the Union. In 1953, the Union was reorganized and revived. On February 15, 1954, a meeting was held at the First Methodist Church on 3rd Avenue West and 3rd Street; officers were again elected. In 1954, a letter went out to all members indicating the growth and development of the new University of Minnesota branch in Duluth (UMD) should be watched. The Wesley Foundation was hoping to establish itself at the new campus. In a short time the University Methodist Church was constructed and is the home of the Wesley Foundation, the "home away from home" for students of the Methodist denomination.

Extent

0.50 Linear Inches

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The collection contains a small number of items relating to the financial and organizational operation of the Duluth United Methodist Union.

Physical Location

This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at libarchives@d.umn.edu or 218-726-8526.

General

This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library, and are on permanent loan from the St. Louis County Historical Society.
Title
Guide to the Duluth United Methodist Union records
Author
Finding Aid Authors: P. Maus.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Collecting Area Details

Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area

Contact:
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001
(218) 726-8526