Skip to main content

Duluth Welfare Council records

 Collection
Identifier: S2233

Scope and Contents

The collection contains administrative records, committee records, and financial records.

Administrative records include board minutes, agendas, correspondence, memos, committee minutes, news clippings, annual reports, executive director reports, committee reports, publications, and a "historical record" that includes articles of incorporation and by-laws.

Committee records include correspondence, memos, surveys, publications, minutes and reports. Committees were formed to study social service needs and organizations and materials include files generate through the Duluth Welfare Council's participation on outside boards and committees.

Financial records include receipts arranged by vendor and a journal of expenditures and receipts.

Dates

  • 1926-1975

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.

Biographical / Historical

The Duluth Welfare Council, orginally known as the Duluth Council of Social Agencies, was organized in Duluth, Minnesota in 1926. In 1954 it adopted the name the Duluth Welfare Council. The Duluth Welfare Council incorporated in 1962 as a coordinating agency of the Duluth Community Chest. The Council brought health, welfare, and recreational agencies and other interested organizations and individuals together to plan social welfare programs.

The Duluth Welfare Council established temporary committees to study social service organizations requesting affiliation with the Community chest, to investigate community needs, to review the continued relevance of any existing social service, and to implement, whenever able, any new social service. In 1962 the United Fund absorbed the Community Chest and assumed sponsorship of the Duluth Welfare Council. On June 24, 1971, the Duluth Welfare Council dissolved its corporate charter and merged with the United Fund to form the United Way of Greater Duluth.

Extent

2.50 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English, Old (ca.450-1100)

Abstract

The collection contains administrative records, committee records, and financial records.

Arrangement of Materials:

2 boxes + 1 oversize volume

Physical Location

This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at libarchives@d.umn.edu or 218-726-8526.

Related Materials:

NEMHC Archival Collections S3066 United Way of Greater Duluth records

General

This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library.
Title
Guide to the Duluth Welfare Council records
Author
Finding Aid Authors: Staff.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Collecting Area Details

Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area

Contact:
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001
(218) 726-8526