Duluth Public Library records
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of annual reports containing statistical information on the activities of the Duluth Public Library. The collection also contains an architectural report on the Duluth Public Library building which was constructed next to the St. Louis County Heritage and Arts Center; Duluth Public Library Board files, 1957-1978, including minutes and information on the new building at Fifth Avenue West and Superior Street; 2 audiotapes of a public hearing on the proposed new site, 1977; and an audiotaped summary of the hearing, aired on public radio.
- Duluth (Minn.) Public Library (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
The Duluth, Minnesota Public Library was first established by a group of citizens in 1869. Following the financial panic of 1873 the library closed for a few years in the late 1870s, reopening through the efforts of the Ladies Library Association in 1880. In 1889 the Opera House that housed the library was destroyed in a fire, all of the books were lost. $500 in insurance money from the Association and the support of Duluth's mayor, John Sutphin, resulted in a publicly supported library.
The new library opened in 1890 in the Masonic Temple at Second Avenue East and Superior Street. A new Carnegie library building at Second Street and First Avenue West opened in 1902. The current library at Fifth Avenue West and Superior Street was built in 1980.
0.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection consists of recrods related to the activities of the Duluth Public Library.
This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 218-726-8526.
This collection is owned by the Minnesota Historical Society, but is housed at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives.
- Annual reports Subject Source: Local sources
- Architecture Subject Source: Local sources
- Duluth (Minn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Duluth Public Library Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Government records Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minutes Subject Source: Local sources
- Public libraries Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Urban redevelopment Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Urban renewal Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Duluth Public Library records
- Finding Aid Authors: Staff.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001