Duluth-Superior Transit Company records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains minutes, financial books, annual reports, publications, maps, miscellaneous correspondence, news clippings, photographs, timetables, and microfilmed scrapbooks. Financial records represent the largest portion of records, and there is a significant lack of executive records. Most of the financial books are in fair to good condition.
The collection is divided into eight groups largely representing the different transit companies that eventually became the Duluth-Superior Transit Company. The groups are: Interstate Traction Company, Lakeside Railway Company, Park Point Traction Company, Duluth Street Railway Company, Duluth-Superior Traction Company, Duluth-Superior Transit Company, Miscellaneous Records, and Microfilmed Scrapbooks.
There are relatively few records of the Interstate Traction Company (1902-1914), the Park Point Traction Company (1916-1917) and the Lakeside Railway Company (1892-1900). Only the Lakeside Railway Company records include executive minutes. The other two groups contain miscellaneous financial volumes.
Though there are more records of the Duluth Street Railway (1882-1930) than any other group, most of the material is in the form of financial books. There are some annual reports, and minutes do exist (1896-1911).
Most of the Duluth-Superior Traction Company records (1894-1929) pertain to the Connecticut firm, though some of the minutes originate form the New Jersey company.
The Duluth-Superior Transit Company records (1934-1966) contain annual reports, and special reports and two publications, Transit Topics and the Rider's Digest. Transit Topics was an in-house publication for employees and the Digest was a leaflet distributed to transit users. The Digest contains articles promoting mass transit, notifications of fare and route changes, and related information.
Miscellaneous Records (1887-1963) contains maps, a few items of correspondence (some concerned with transit service for Park Point), newsclippings, timetables, and photographs of streetcars, buses and the Incline Railway.
Scrapbooks (1893-1941) contain two "hard copies" and a microfilm series. The two "hard copy" scrapbooks, 1889-1896,) contain advertisements and articles on the Pavilion (at the top of the Incline Railway), a company strike and other articles relating to the transit company. The microfilm series reproduces 105 volumes of newspaper clippings, each of which contains approximately 170 pages. The first volume (entitled "Amusement Book," 1907-1914) was kept as a "record of attractions that [affect streetcar traffic]." It includes newspaper advertisements to a number of sports, theatrical, and civic events. The second scrapbook (volume 1, 1914-1923) contains general news clippings on engineering projects in the Duluth area and other local civic news; it begins with an index to the clippings. The remaining scrapbooks (volumes 2-106, 1896-1941) contain articles concerning the Duluth-Superior Transit Company, including news items on streetcar accidents, strikes, service changes, fare increases, and other local transit incidents. Some non-local transit issues and events are also covered. Most clippings are identified by newspaper and date. There are no volumes 56-57. Since there is no break in the date sequence, it is possible that the volumes were mis-numbered by the company rather than lost.
- Duluth-Superior Transit Company (Duluth, Minn.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
The Duluth-Superior Transit Company was the successor of a number of Duluth and Superior transit companies, beginning with the Duluth Street Railway Company in 1882. The Duluth Street Railway was bought out by the Duluth-Superior Traction Company in 1894, though the Duluth Street Railway continued to operate the system. By 1917, the Duluth Street Railway had acquired three other lines and merged with the Superior Rapid Transit Railway Company in 1900. Financial proglems forced the reorganization of the transit system in 1933, resulting in the establishment of the Duluth Superior Transit Company. The company was reorganized again in 1970 as the Duluth Transit Authority.
210.00 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection contains minutes, financial books, annual reports, publications, maps, miscellaneous correspondence, news clippings, photographs, timetables, and microfilmed scrapbooks. Financial records represent the largest portion of records, and there is a significant lack of executive records.
This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 218-726-8526.
Other Finding Aids
168 boxes + 25 volumes
This collection is owned by the Minnesota Historical Society, but is housed at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives.
- Account books Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Annual reports Subject Source: Local sources
- Buses Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Local sources
- Duluth (Minn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Duluth (Minn.)--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Financial statements Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Incline Railway (Duluth, Minn.)
- Maps Subject Source: Local sources
- Microfilm Subject Source: Local sources
- Minutes Subject Source: Local sources
- Newspaper clippings Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Publications Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Railroads Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Local sources
- Street-railroads Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Streetcars Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Superior (Wis.) Subject Source: Lcnaf
- Superior (Wis.)--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Transportation Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Duluth-Superior Transit Company records
- Finding Aid Authors: B.H. Bruemmer, D. Gaynon, P. Maus, Staff.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001