Skip to main content

Ely Sight Saving School scrapbook

 Collection
Identifier: S3132

Scope and Contents

The collection is comprised of one scrapbook containing correspondence concerning school activities, news clippings, and photographs of the children who were students at the sight saving school accompanied by short written statements and art work both created by the students.

Dates

  • 1939-1943

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.

Biographical / Historical

Sight saving classes originated in about 1913 as an educational accommodation for children who had partial vision and were not appropriately served by existing classes designed for children who were blind. The classes were designed to minimize eye-strain in the classroom, teach the children how to conserve their existing vision, and to provide vocational guidance and training.

The Ely Sight Saving School was a part of the Public Schools in Duluth, Minnesota. Sight saving classes were first offered in Duluth in the 1919/1920 school year at Jefferson School. In 1939 the Ely School was one of three locations offering sight saving classes in the Duluth Public Schools along with Central High School and Jefferson Elementary. Ruth Poechmann was Sight Saving Teacher in the Duluth Public Schools from 1925 to 1945.

The Ely Sight Saving School was a part of the Public Schools in Duluth, Minnesota. Sight saving classes were first offered in Duluth in the 1919/1920 school year at Jefferson School. In 1939 the Ely School was one of three locations offering sight saving classes in the Duluth Public Schools along with Central High School and Jefferson Elementary. Ruth Poechmann was Sight Saving Teacher in the Duluth Public Schools from 1925 to 1945.

Extent

1.00 Volumes

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The collection is comprised of one scrapbook containing correspondence concerning school activities, news clippings, and photographs of the children who were students at the sight saving school accompanied by short written statements and art work both created by the students.

Physical Location

This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at libarchives@d.umn.edu or 218-726-8526.

General

This collection is owned by the Minnesota Historical Society, but is housed at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives.
Title
Guide to the Ely Sight Saving School scrapbook
Author
Finding Aid Authors: Staff.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Collecting Area Details

Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area

Contact:
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001
(218) 726-8526