Skip to main content

Family Service of Duluth records

 Collection
Identifier: S4414

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of articles of incorporation, bylaws and amendments, annual reports, minutes, financial statements, correspondence, newsletters, policies, a few photographs, and scrapbooks.

Dates

  • 1910-1987

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.

Biographical / Historical

Family Service of Duluth existed for 78 years as a social service agency which had its beginnings as the Associated Charities of Duluth in October 1909. The organization was a cooperative effort among thirty social and civic organizations represented on a Central Council. The purpose of the agency was the relief and prevention of poverty and dependency in the city of Duluth. Every effort was to be made to remove the causes of destitution rather than “doctoring” the symptoms. Funds were acquired by organization annual dues and by donation and subscription. In the annual report for 1911, it was stated that a central and confidential list of 870 families assisted by different societies was kept in the office of the Association and updated monthly to avoid duplication and overlapping of relief efforts.

The name Family Welfare Society of Duluth was adopted March 16, 1926, but changed January 12, 1940 to Family Service Society. It was stated in an agency overview report written in 1961, that after the depression of 1929, government sponsored welfare departments took over the major task of providing financial help to the unemployed and needy leaving the family agencies therefore to devote themselves to prevention, rehabilitation and the supplying of needs other than that for mere subsistence.

Extent

1.50 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The collection consists of articles of incorporation, bylaws and amendments, annual reports, minutes, financial statements, correspondence, newsletters, policies, a few photographs, and scrapbooks.

Physical Location

This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at libarchives@d.umn.edu or 218-726-8526.

General

This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library.
Title
Guide to the Family Service of Duluth records
Author
Finding Aid Authors: Staff.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Collecting Area Details

Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area

Contact:
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001
(218) 726-8526