George A. Fay papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains notes, photographs, and news clippings. The notes, 1867–1915, describe projects that Fay was involved with and the development of northern Wisconsin and the Minnesota Iron Range. The notes are accompanied by a typewritten copy produced by the St. Louis Historical Society in 1940. Also included are photographs of Fay, 1868–1928, and news clippings, 1924–1929.
- Fay, George A., 1849-1928 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
George A. Fay was an engineer and geologist for the Oliver Iron Mining Company of Minnesota. He was born in Hardwick Vermont, and by 1867 he had moved to Menasha, Wisconsin. He helped locate the Wisconsin Central Railway until 1873, after which he worked on geological surveys in Wisconsin. In 1880 he moved to northern Minnesota and helped locate lands for the North Star Iron Company. Fay was an engineer and geologist for the Oliver Iron Mining Company of Minnesota beginning in 1905.
1.00 Linear Inches
Language of Materials
The collection contains notes, photographs, and news clippings.
This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 218-726-8526.
This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library, and are on permanent loan from the St. Louis County Historical Society.
- Diaries Subject Source: Local sources
- Engineering Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Geology Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iron ranges Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Iron ranges--Minnesota Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspaper clippings Subject Source: Local sources
- Oliver Iron Mining Company
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Railroads Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Real property Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Wisconsin Subject Source: Local sources
- Guide to the George A. Fay papers
- Finding Aid Authors: B.H. Bruemmer.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001