Skip to main content

Gallagher Studio photograph collection

 Collection — Box: 1GP
Identifier: S4475

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of identified and unidentified photographs of the Duluth area, with and without corresponding negatives, negatives without corresponding prints and post cards.

Dates

  • 1890-1963

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.

Biographical / Historical

The Gallagher family provided photography business services in Duluth for two generations. Louis P. Gallagher is first listed in the R. L. Polk Duluth city directory for 1894 in association with Herman Brown. His name is linked with Zenith View Company between 1895-1899. He was a newspaper photographer for the Duluth News Tribune from 1907-1912. His Gallagher Studio was advertised from 1913 to 1936. Louis P. Gallagher's son, Perry, continued the Studio, with listings in the City Directory through 1977.

Louis P. Gallagher, was the first person in this part of the country to take an x-ray. X-rays had been discovered in 1895 by Professor Wilhelm K. Roentgen of Germany. July 1, 1896 Mr. Gallagher, a former telegraph operator, wound his own induction coil and set up his x-ray apparatus. It was a picture of a needle embedded in a hand, requested by late Dr. W. H. Magie.

Extent

3.50 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The collection consists of identified and unidentified photographs of the Duluth area, with and without corresponding negatives, negatives without corresponding prints and post cards.

Physical Location

This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at libarchives@d.umn.edu or 218-726-8526.

General

Container list is incomplete

General

This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library.

Title
Guide to the Gallagher Studio photograph collection
Author
Finding Aid Authors: P. Maus.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Collecting Area Details

Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area

Contact:
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001
(218) 726-8526