Skip to main content

Goldfine family papers

 Collection
Identifier: S2317

Scope and Contents

The collection contains family and business papers, photographs, slides, one film, scrapbooks and photograph albums. The collection includes correspondence, legal documents, publications, minutes, photographs, financial reports, and news clippings for Goldfine's, Miller Furniture Company, Spirit Mountain Authority, Temple Israel, and the Goldfine family.

The collection is divided into two series: Box 1 Family and Business Papers Box 2-4 Photographs and Publicity Material Oversize Volumes 1-4

Dates

  • 1920-1977

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.

Biographical / Historical

The Goldfine family has played an active role in Duluth business and community affairs for decades. Their family business began in 1922 when Abe (1897-1950) and Fannie Overman Goldfine (1905-1973) opened a cattle trading business. Abe was one of nine children born to Rose Kaner Goldfine (1870-1932) and Alexander Sander Goldfine (1873-1931) who came to Duluth from St. Cloud in 1901.

Their business gradually expanded. The original name was Goldfine’s Sales Stables followed by Goldfine’s Trading Post. The family branched out and operated several stores in and around Duluth specializing in furniture, carpet and large sporting goods. In 1961, they consolidated into one large operation. The Trading Post on Garfield Avenue was razed and the discount department store to be known as Goldfine’s By The Bridge was opened at the same location and employed about 200 people. In 1966, the store added the pilot house from the former Great Lakes freighter Charles S. Hebard, offering an unobstructed view of the area.

In 1970 Goldfine’s merged into a national operation with Unishops, Inc. of New Jersey. Goldfine’s opened a store in 1976 in Sioux City, Iowa, the first outside of Minnesota. In 1978 it was announces that all five Goldfine stores would be closed.

The family philosophy – what’s good for Duluth is good for Goldfine’s, and by contributing to the welfare of the total community, you contribute to your own welfare – resulted in brothers Erwin "Erv" (1923-2002) and Manley "Monnie" (1928-2009) Goldfine remaining active in community affairs. Erwin Goldfine was a Governor appointee to be President of the Minnesota Higher Education Commission. Erv also served as Financial Chairman of the Northeast Minnesota Council for Medical Education which secured funds for the University of Minnesota Duluth Medical School, and as a University of Minnesota Regent. Manley Goldfine has served as President of the Arena Auditorium (DECC) Administrative Board and as Chairman of the Spirit Mountain Recreation Area Authority. He was named to the Duluth Hall of Fame in 1968. The brothers were named by UMD as Businessmen of The Year in 1971. Erwin Goldfine was married to Beverly Betten Goldfine; Manley Goldfine was married to Lillian Falk Goldfine.

Extent

2.50 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The collection contains family and business papers, photographs, slides, one film, scrapbooks and photograph albums. The collection includes correspondence, legal documents, publications, minutes, photographs, financial reports, and news clippings for Goldfine's, Miller Furniture Company, Spirit Mountain Authority, Temple Israel, and the Goldfine family.

Arrangement of Materials:

The collection is divided into two series:

Family and Business Papers

Photographs and Publicity Material

Physical Location

This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at libarchives@d.umn.edu or 218-726-8526.

Physical Description

4 boxes and 4 volumes outside boxes

General

This collection is owned by the Minnesota Historical Society, but is housed at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives.
Title
Guide to the Goldfine family papers
Author
Finding Aid Authors: Staff.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Collecting Area Details

Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area

Contact:
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001
(218) 726-8526