International Institute, Duluth (Minn.) records
Scope and Contents
The collection, arranged alphabetically by subject, contains reference materials, correspondence, photographs, minutes, and bulletins. Most of the records concern the planning and activities of the Duluth Folk Festival, 1949-1962. The collection also includes articles of incorporation and one folder of general correspondence.
- Creation: 1926-1963
- International Institute (Duluth, Minn.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
The International Institute in Duluth, Minnesota, was created to provide assistance to immigrants, to preserve and foster appreciation of different cultural heritages, and to study and act upon legislation affecting foreign born residents. The Institute began in Gary, Minnesota, in September, 1919 as a branch of the YMCA. By 1930 it had relocated to downtown Duluth and begun the Raleigh Street Neighborhood House program in West Duluth. The Institute became an independent, incorporated organization in 1947 and received its funds largely from the Duluth Community Chest. It offered counseling and referral service to foreign born residents, and sponsored an annual Folk Festival beginning in 1945. The Institute disbanded in 1963 because of the lack of people requiring their services.
2.50 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection, arranged alphabetically by subject, contains reference materials, correspondence, photographs, minutes, and bulletins.
This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at email@example.com or 218-726-8526.
This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library, and are on permanent loan from the St. Louis County Historical Society.
- Guide to the International Institute, Duluth (Minn.) records
- Finding Aid Authors: B.H. Bruemmer.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001