Isle Royale Commercial Fishing oral history project
Scope and Contents
Mr. Timothy Cochrane interviewed three people involved in commercial fishing at Isle Royale in conjunction with research for a master’s thesis paper.
The collection consists of 15 audiotapes comprising approximately 11 hours of conversation with three Isle Royale commercial fishing people: Stanley Sivertson, Howard Sivertson, and Ingeborg Holte. Topics covered include; early island history, lumbering, resorts, fishermen’s relationship with the mines, currents, fish houses, docks, moose story, ship wreck of the America, Washington Island, Sivertson Fisheries, Washington Harbor history, people places, folklife, storms, 4th of July, boat – days, island life, folklore, Wright Island, wildlife stories, place-names and customs.
- Sivertson, Howard "Buddy", 1930- (Person)
- Holte, Ingeborg, 1901 October 14-1990 June 3 (Person)
- Sivertson, Stanley, 1913 October 6-1994 September 13 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Howard "Buddy" Sivertson was involved in the commercial fishing industry at Isle Royale on Lake Superior.
15.00 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection consists of 15 audiotapes comprising approximately 11 hours of conversation with three Isle Royale commercial fishing people. The interviews were conducted in conjunction with research for a master’s thesis paper.
This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at email@example.com or 218-726-8526.
This collection is owned by the Minnesota Historical Society, but is housed at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives.
- Audiocassettes Subject Source: Local sources
- Audiotapes Subject Source: Local sources
- Commercial fishing industry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fishing industry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Isle Royale (Mich.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oral history Subject Source: Local sources
- Oral history interviews Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Isle Royale Commercial Fishing oral history project
- Finding Aid Authors: Staff.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001