Lester Park Literary Club records
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of by-laws; annual reports from 1921-22, 1930-31; miscellaneous correspondence; yearbooks with meeting notes, membership lists, lists of officers, advisory board members and committee chairpersons from 1936-37, 1987-88; meeting minutes (vol. 108) from Oct 27, 1919-April 1933, Sept. 1945-Dec. 1963, Sept. 1973-May 1987; treasurer's book of dues paid (vol. 9) from 1930-1932; scrapbooks from 1901-1939, 1955-1986 containing clippings, yearbooks, a few photographs, and annual reports. The minutes begin in 1919: prior minutes were lost according to a note by a member in a scrapbook.
- Majority of material found in 1901-1939, 1955-1986
- Lester Park Literary Club (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
The Lester Park Literary Club was organized in 1900. The club's motto was "There is beauty in willingness, even when we cannot meet expectations." The purpose of the organization was “to promote interest in reading and literary and cultural development in the community.” The members read book reviews, circulated books so everyone could read them and promoted the building of the Lester Park branch library, Lester Park golf club, the Bethel, Duluth Public Library, and WDSE. They met the second Monday of the month at members’ homes. They belonged to the Minnesota Federation of Women’s Clubs until 1941 when they dropped their affiliation. Their colors were scarlet and green. The club flower was the geranium.
Language of Materials
The collection consists of by-laws; annual reports; miscellaneous correspondence; yearbooks with meeting notes, membership lists, lists of officers, advisory board members and committee chairpersons; meeting minutes; treasurer's book of dues paid; scrapbooks containing clippings, yearbooks, a few photographs, and annual reports.
This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at email@example.com or 218-726-8526.
This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library.
- Buildings Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- By-laws Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Clubs Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Membership Lists Subject Source: Local sources
- Minutes Subject Source: Local sources
- Neighborhoods Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspaper clippings Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Scrapbooks Subject Source: Local sources
- Women’s organizations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Lester Park Literary Club records
- Finding Aid Authors: P. Maus.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001