McDougall-Duluth Shipbuilding Company records
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of one record with two parts of the McDougall-Duluth Shipbuilding Company. The record’s first part is Table No. I titled Statement of Compensation Cases Adjusted by the McDougall-Duluth Company. The ten-pages begin with a five-page list of 198 names of people compensated for injury at Riverside. It dates from March 1919 to June 1920. It is arranged in File No. sequence. There are no corresponding files. The column headings are: File No., Emp. No., Name, Nature of Case [T.T. or P.P.], Settled and amt. paid in full [dollar amount]; Medical Expense [dollar amount]; Settled and amt. Part paid; Settled and Amount due; Settled and Paid on Open Cases Temporary Total; Date of Injury. While some of the names are initials plus surname, it appears that all are men.
The second 5-pages are Table II – VI. Table II: table covers March 20, 1919 to June 30, 1920 at Riverside and June 10, 1919 to June 30, 1920 at Polk Street plant, all dates inclusive, showing items indicated. Table III, McDougall-Duluth Company, only. Table IV, IVa McDougall-Duluth Shipbuilding Company, only. Table V heading: gives merely the accident frequency and severity and reference is made to report of May 25, 1920, on file. Table VI Balance in Riverside State Bank Dec. 30, 1919 to credit Safety and Workmen’s Compensation Department, amount to credit for 1920 losses on Auditor’s books but not in Riverside bank, total balance of credit in Bank on June 30, 1920. Prepared July 15, 1920.
- Creation: 1919-1920
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
The McDougall-Duluth Shipyard was McDougall's second shipyard. It is named for Scotsman, inventor, patent holder, financier and shipbuilder, Capt. Alexander McDougall (1845-1923). It was established by Capt. Alexander McDougall and his son A. Miller McDougall in 1916 to construct a large fleet of freighters and steamers for lake and ocean trade for use in WWI for the United States Shipping Board Emergency Fleet Corporation. The yard at Riverside turned out 37 vessels and employed 3,500 men. A community, a Duluth neighborhood still called Riverside, accommodated the activity. There was a school, hotel, movie theater, stores, post office, bank, and blocks and blocks of houses. When the first vessel was launched, the Lake Helen, on July 4, 1918, more than 6,000 persons witnessed the ceremony.
McDougall sold the shipbuilding yard to Julius H. Barnes, who renamed it Barnes-Duluth Shipbuilding. Barnes-Duluth built WWII vessels. Barnes sold it to Walter Butler Shipbuilders in 1943 and it closed in 1945. The yard was located at the end of Spring Street, in the Riverside section of West Duluth: the site is now a marina.
Language of Materials
The collection consists of one record of the McDougall-Duluth Shipbuilding Company.
This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at email@example.com or 218-726-8526.
This collection is owned by the Minnesota Historical Society, but is housed at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives.
- Guide to the McDougall-Duluth Shipbuilding Company records
- Finding Aid Authors: P. Maus.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001