Skip to main content

George E. and William Nettleton family papers

 Collection
Identifier: S6113

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of two items:

A land patent granting land to George E Nettleton, dated 1861. This appears to represent the land Nettleton built his "shanty" on and that he acquired title to as a result of the trader's license he obtained from the Indian Department in 1853-54.

A letter from William Nettleton dated December 5th, 1892 declining an invitation to attend a meeting of the Old Settlers of the Head of Lake Superior.

Dates

  • 1861-1892
  • Majority of material found in 1861, 1892

Creator

Biographical / Historical

George E. and William Nettleton were brothers and early settlers of Duluth. Arriving in the area in 1852 or 1853, they ran a large grocery and general supply store. George Nettleton claims to have built the first "shanty: on the Town Plat at the base of Minnesota Point in 1852. William Nettleton was a member of the first Town Council of Duluth.

Extent

2.00 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Physical Location

This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at libarchives@d.umn.edu or 218-726-8526.

General

This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library, and are on permanent loan from the St. Louis County Historical Society.
Title
Guide to the George E. and William Nettleton family papers
Author
Finding Aid Authors: M. David.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Collecting Area Details

Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area

Contact:
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001
(218) 726-8526