Skip to main content

Lyman E. Nylander photograph collection

 Collection
Identifier: S2420

Scope and Contents

The Collection consists of 5x7" and 8x10" black and white silver gelatin prints exposed and printed by Mr. Nylander. There are no original negatives. The images are primarily of Duluth street scenes, buildings, churches on the Iron Range, as well as military monuments and markers in Duluth and out East. Mr. Nylander's photographs had been separated and dispersed within the General Historical Collection, but have been regrouped as a collection under his name.  Most of the images are identified and dated by him in 1961-1964, and 1972. The container list contains item level description.

The photographic prints comprising this collection are divided into the following subject areas:

Box 1:

Architecture: Buildings

Architecture: Bridges, Freeway I35

Architecture: Cabins

Architecture: Churches A-M

Architecture: Churches N-Z

Architecture: Government

Architecture: Homes - alphabetical by street name, Grand - Woodland

Architecture: Homes - house numbers of avenues and streets, East, 5-2605

Architecture: Homes - house numbers of avenues and streets, West, 109-4601

Box 2:

Architecture: Monuments and Markers

Architecture: Schools

Businesses and Stores

Cities: Fond du Lac

Geography: Lakes

Geography: Rock formations

Marine: Harbor

Marine: Lighthouses

Occupations

People: Ojibwe People

Street Scenes

Transportation: Railroads

Transportation: Shipping

Notable single images are: Union Depot interiors after the Depot was shuttered and before it became the St. Louis County Heritage & Arts Center, Fenske Lake, the Hartley Floodwood farm, Greenstone rock outcropping at Ely, log cabins, the old city jail at 14th Avenue West and Superior Street, the street car waiting station at 2102 Woodland Avenue, and interior scenes from the Lyceum Theater.

Dates

  • 1950-1972

Creator

Biographical / Historical

Lyman Nylander was an amateur photographer and a life-long resident of Duluth. Nylander was a pioneer in the Duluth radio system, worked as an electrician, but was an engineer for the police department radio system from its beginnings in 1934. He was a veteran of World War II, and a member of the David Wisted-Zenith City post of the American Legion. He was also a member of the Minnesota Police Officers Association, the Associated Police Communications Officers, the Ionic Lodge, AF&AM, and the Duluth Camera Club.

Extent

1.00 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Physical Location

This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at libarchives@d.umn.edu or 218-726-8526.

General

Notable single images are: Union Depot interiors after the Depot was shuttered and before it became the St. Louis County Heritage and Arts Center; Fenske Lake, the Hartley Floodwood farm, Greenstone rock outcropping at Ely, log cabins, the old city jail at 14th Avenue West and Superior Street, the street car waiting station at 2102 Woodland Avenue, and Lyceum Theater interior shots.

General

This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library, and are on permanent loan from the St. Louis County Historical Society.
Title
Guide to the Lyman E. Nylander photograph collection
Author
Finding Aid Authors: P. Maus.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Collecting Area Details

Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area

Contact:
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001
(218) 726-8526