Bertha Richards papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains correspondence, 1881-1942; newspaper clippings, 1916-1963; photographs, 1894-1950; poems; programs of her concert series, 1916-1928; and miscellaneous reference materials. Most of the correspondence was written after 1930. There is a thank you letter from President Hoover, May 16, 1933.
- Richards, Bertha, 1867-1963 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Bertha Richards (nee Bertha I. Stinchfield) was a president of Matinee Musicale, a Duluth, Minnesota music organization, and manager of her "All-Star Music Course," a concert series which brought famous musicians to Duluth. She was born in New Hampshire and came to Duluth around 1900, where she married George S. Richards. She began to manage music concerts in 1916, when she brought the Irish tenor, John McCormick, to Duluth. After expanding the series to Hibbing and Virginia, Minnesota, Mrs. Richards sold the "All Star Course" series to John W. Miller, Jr. in 1928. Her husband died in 1934 and she remarried in 1954 to Dr. Archibald McDonald of Duluth.
1.00 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection contains correspondence, 1881-1942; newspaper clippings, 1916-1963; photographs, 1894-1950; poems; programs of her concert series, 1916-1928; and miscellaneous reference materials.
This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at email@example.com or 218-726-8526.
This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library, and are on permanent loan from the St. Louis County Historical Society.
- Arts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Local sources
- Hoover, Herbert, 1874-1964
- Matinee Musicale (Duluth, Minn.)
- Music Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Musicians Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspaper clippings Subject Source: Local sources
- Performing arts Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Poetry Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Programs Subject Source: Local sources
- Guide to the Bertha Richards papers
- Finding Aid Authors: B.H. Bruemmer.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001