Skip to main content

Rotary Club of Duluth records

 Collection
Identifier: S6155

Scope and Contents

The collection contains the membership lists, programs and conference materials, by-laws, and a brief history of the Duluth Rotary Club (1964), and ephemera.

The 1920 membership roster includes the Constitution of the Rotary Club of Duluth, Articles of Incorporation, A Brief Biography of the Rotary Club of Duluth, By-Laws, and a description of the club’s activities from June 1919 to June 1920. The 1920 and 1943 rosters include portrait photographs of members as well as a classification roster listing members by type of business.

Membership lists: 1920, 1943, 1953, 1955, 1960-1962, 1964-1973, 1975

Programs and conference materials: International Convention of Rotary Clubs, Official Program, 1912 National Association of Rotary Clubs of America, The Twin Ports, 1912 117th District Conference, 1946 Rotary Club of Duluth 75th Anniversary, 1986 Duluth Rotary Club 90th Anniversary, 2001

Ephemera: By-Laws, 1953; Rotary Club Attendance Rules, card and pamphlet, 1963; Brief History of the Duluth Rotary Club, 1964; Brief descriptions of Rotary symbols and object, 1964?; Walter Ridder’s Speech to Duluth Rotary, 1973.

Dates

  • 1912-2001
  • Majority of material found in 1912 1920 1943 1946 1953 1955 1960-1973 1986 2001

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.

Biographical / Historical

The Rotary Club of Duluth was founded in February 1911, the original officers were Ed. W. Russell, president, and Art. A. Michaud, secretary. In 1912 the Convention of the National Association of Rotary Clubs was held in Duluth. Duluth Rotary president Ed. J. Filiatraut was elected a Director of International Rotary at that convention, which marked the beginning of the International Association. The Duluth Club is now known as #25.

The Rotary Club’s objectives were “To encourage and foster: High ethical standards in business and professions; The ideal of Service as the basis of all worthy enterprise; The active interest of every Rotarian in the civic, commercial, social, and moral welfare of his community; The interchange of ideas and of business methods as a means of increasing the efficiency and usefulness of Rotarians; The recognition of the worthiness of all legitimate occupations and the dignifiying of the occupation of each Rotarian as affording him an opportunity to serve society.” (Constitution of the Rotary Club of Duluth)

Extent

0.50 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The collection contains the membership lists, programs and conference materials, by-laws, and a brief history of the Duluth Rotary Club (1964), and ephemera.

Physical Location

This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at libarchives@d.umn.edu or 218-726-8526.

General

This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library.

Creator

Title
Guide to the Rotary Club of Duluth records
Author
Finding Aid Authors: M. David.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Collecting Area Details

Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area

Contact:
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001
(218) 726-8526