Skip to main content

Scott-Graff Lumber Company records

 Collection
Identifier: S2258

Scope and Contents

The collection contains corporate and financial records and minutes; job site and construction records; publicity records; and oversized photos and blueprints.

The financial records contain journals of expenditure and receipts, appraisals evaluating Scott-Graff's Duluth plant properties, volumes of corporate records and company stock certificates.Corporate records contain by-laws, certificate of incorporation and minutes of the first Board of Directors meeting. Job site and construction records contain photographs of buildings constructed or partially constructed by the Scott-Graff Company, including pictures of construction, under government contracts, of temporary housing in Burlington, Iowa. Publicity records contain photographs, scrapbooks, awards and catalogs from lumber distributors used by Scott-Graff. Includes photogarphs of employees, employee seniority lists, and photographs of the Scott-Graff building and Duluth.

The collection includes a portrait of Zar D. Scott.

Dates

  • 1880-1967

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.

Biographical / Historical

The Scott & Holston Lumber Company began operations as a Duluth, Minnesota area lumber company in 1880. At that time Zar D. Scott and D. E. Holston formed the Scott & Holston Lumber Company. A decade later, Feb. 8, 1900 the Scott & Holston Company was dissolved when Scott merged with Phillip M. Graff to form a new business, the Scott-Graff Lumber Company. While the Scott & Holston Lumber Company was solely engaged in the lumber trade, Scott-Graff participated in a wide range of activities. They manufactured lumber and interior finishings and bought and sold Minnesota and California timber lands. The company grew with the expanding lumber and construction industries. During World War II, the Scott- Graff Company constructed barges, and housing and grain bins under government contract. The company was awarded the U.S. Maritime "M" Award in 1943 for wartime production achievements. In 1967 the Pacific Mutual Door Company of Kansas City, Missouri purchased Scott-Graff. The Pacific Mutual Door Company liquidated the Scott-Graff property in Duluth in 1978.

Extent

11.25 Linear Feet

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The collection contains corporate and financial records and minutes; job site and construction records; publicity records; and oversized photos and blueprints.

Physical Location

This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at libarchives@d.umn.edu or 218-726-8526.

General

This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library.
Title
Guide to the Scott-Graff Lumber Company records
Author
Finding Aid Authors: Staff.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Collecting Area Details

Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area

Contact:
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001
(218) 726-8526