Spalding Hotel records
Scope and Contents
The collection contains minutes, 1887-1890; two stock journals, 1887, 1890-1901; a day book, 1887-1889; brochures; menus; news clippings, 1940-1963; and photographs. The early minutes and financial ledgers all belonged to the Spalding House Company.
The day book is oversized and stored separately.
- Spalding Hotel (Duluth, Minn.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
The Spalding Hotel was built in 1889 on the corner of 5th Avenue West and Superior Street and was considered one of Duluth’s finest hotels. Construction was financed through the Spalding House Company (incorporated 1887) whose directors included William W. Spalding, Andreas M. Miller, Fred W. McKinney, and L. Mendenhall.
The hotel, designed by J.J. Egan of Chicago, had over 200 rooms and was eight stories high. The Spalding was bought by the J.L. Washburn estate in 1905 and sold to the Duluth Housing and Redevelopment Authority in 1963 to be demolished.
5.00 Linear Inches
Language of Materials
The collection contains minutes, 1887-1890; two stock journals, 1887, 1890-1901; a day book, 1887-1889; brochures; menus; news clippings, 1940-1963; and photographs.
This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at email@example.com or 218-726-8526.
This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library, and are on permanent loan from the St. Louis County Historical Society.
- Businesses Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Downtown (Duluth, Minn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Hotels Subject Source: Local sources
- Ledgers Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Menus Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minutes Subject Source: Local sources
- Newspaper clippings Subject Source: Local sources
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Registers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Spalding Hotel (Duluth, Minn.) Subject Source: Local sources
- Spalding, William W., 1820-1901
- Guide to the Spalding Hotel records
- Finding Aid Authors: P. Maus.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001