Skip to main content

YMCA, Duluth (Minn.) records

 Collection
Identifier: S3125

Scope and Contents

The collection contains news clippings 1904-1977; photographs, 1911; miscellaneous bulletins, articles of incorporation, constitution, meeting reports, plans 1910-1966; YMCA School’s standard course foremanship instructors manual, 1923; three scrapbooks; reports, including Camp Miller, 1927–1949; and a published history of the Duluth YMCA, The First 100 Years, 1882-1982.

Scrapbooks:

1922–1925 includes news clippings and a small amount of correspondence

1925–1928 includes news clippings, a small amount of correspondence, and commencement announcements

1928–1931 includes news clippings and correspondence

Dates

  • 1904-1982

Creator

Conditions Governing Access

Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.

Conditions Governing Use

This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.

Biographical / Historical

The Duluth YMCA. was organized in 1882. Julius Barnes and Ward Ames, Jr. contributed funds to build the boys' building in 1916. Summer camps were held every year on rented property until 1912 when property was acquired to establish Camp Miller. N.D. McLeod was the longest standing General Secretary, serving from 1936–1948.

Extent

9.00 Linear Inches

Language of Materials

English

Abstract

The collection contains news clippings 1904-1977; photographs, 1911; miscellaneous bulletins, articles of incorporation, constitution, meeting reports, plans 1910-1966; YMCA School’s standard course foremanship instructors manual, 1923; three scrapbooks; reports, including Camp Miller, 1927–1949; and a published history of the Duluth YMCA, The First 100 Years, 1882-1982.

Physical Location

This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at libarchives@d.umn.edu or 218-726-8526.

General

This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library, and are on permanent loan from the St. Louis County Historical Society.

Creator

Title
Guide to the YMCA, Duluth (Minn.) records
Author
Finding Aid Authors: Staff.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Collecting Area Details

Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area

Contact:
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001
(218) 726-8526