Zweifel-Roleff Studio photograph collection for DM&IR and Oliver Iron Mining
Scope and Contents
The collection consists exclusively of negatives. All are safety film and vary in size from 2.5x3.5 to 4x5 to 5x7. A small number are damaged, overexposed, rippled, finger printed or creased. The nearly 1000 negatives cover the dates 1942-1954 and were apparently made for the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range railroad and the Oliver Iron Mining Co. How they became separated from the records of the companies is unknown. Subjects of the negatives are: workers, mine sites, machinery/equipment, and women workers.
- Zweifel-Roleff Photography Studio (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
John Rudolph Zweifel and William F. Roleff were master photographers who operated separate and joint studios between the years 1899 and the late 1940s. Very little information has been systematically complied to complete a biographical sketch of Mr. Zweifel but biographical information for Mr. Roleff, the younger of the two photographers, is available (see the Roleff collection S2240.)
1.00 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection consists exclusively of negatives. The nearly 1000 negatives cover the dates 1942-1954 and were apparently made for the Duluth, Missabe & Iron Range railroad and the Oliver Iron Mining Co.
This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 218-726-8526.
This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library, and are on permanent loan from the St. Louis County Historical Society.
- Duluth, Missabe and Iron Range Railway Company
- Iron mines and mining Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Negatives Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Oliver Iron Mining Company
- Photographers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Photography, industrial Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Railroads Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Zweifel-Roleff Studio photograph collection for DM&IR and Oliver Iron Mining
- Finding Aid Authors: P. Maus.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001