Women's Institute of Duluth records
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of records on artists and performers the Institute brought or attempted to bring to Duluth. The files contain the contracts, correspondence, publicity materials and photographs of the artists. Also included in the collection are annual meeting minutes and reports by committee, news clippings, correspondence, invitations, programs and scrapbooks. The collection does not hold biographical information on the members or the annual chairperson.
- Creation: 1941-1995
- Women's Institute of Duluth (Minn.) (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
The Women’s Institute of Duluth, Minnesota was organized in 1940 to promote civic, cultural, and social activities in the area. Project focuses over the years have included naturalization, safety and survival, a Christmas choral pageant, and city-wide city pride. The organization was originally sponsored by the Duluth Herald and News Tribune newspaper and was organized by committees. Committees from the 1943-1945 years included arts and education, civic, clean-up, defense, hospitality, music, publicity, ticket, auditorium (armory), home safety, and merchants, with subcommittees by topic such as municipal garbage collection, Park Point, Art Colony, racial tolerance. Progress within the community was a goal of the Institute and its programs.
4.50 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection consists of records on artists and performers the Institute brought or attempted to bring to Duluth.
This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at email@example.com or 218-726-8526.
This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library.
- Guide to the Women's Institute of Duluth records
- Finding Aid Authors: P. Maus.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001