Albert Woolson papers
Scope and Contents
The collection contains correspondence, birthday cards and telegrams, articles, awards, a copy of Woolson's discharge papers, poems and songs dedicated to Woolson, and news clippings,1928-1958. The correspondence, 1943-1965, contains birthday congratulations from such dignitaries as General MacArthur, President Eisenhower and Hubert Humphrey.
- Woolson, Albert, 1847-1956 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
Albert Woolson was the last survivor of the Union Army in the Civil War. He was born in Watertown, New York on February 11, 1847 and joined the army in 1864 at St. Paul, Minnesota. He served in Companies "C" and "D" of the 1st Minnesota Regiment as a drummer boy. After the war, he settled in Duluth, Minnesota and remained there until his death at age 109. He was an active member of the Grand Army of the Republic, Gorman Post #13 in Duluth and attended the last national GAR encampment at Indianpolis August 27, 1949. At the time of his death he was a Vice-Commander-in-Chief of the GAR.
1.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The collection contains correspondence, birthday cards and telegrams, articles, awards, a copy of Woolson's discharge papers, poems and songs dedicated to Woolson, and news clippings,1928-1958.
This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at email@example.com or 218-726-8526.
This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library, and are on permanent loan from the St. Louis County Historical Society.
- Awards Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Civil War, U. S., 1861-1865 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Local sources
- Grand Army of the Republic
- Greeting cards Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- Newspaper clippings Subject Source: Local sources
- Publications Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Soldiers Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Telegrams Subject Source: Local sources
- Veterans Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Albert Woolson papers
- Finding Aid Authors: B.H. Bruemmer.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001