Ross family photograph albums
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of two photograph albums. The first contains family photos with some descriptive information in the first section of the album. These photos are of a high quality for amateur photos and include some shots taken with a Korelle Reflex camera with a telephoto lens. The second contains photos of Minnesota Power and Light installations with dates and descriptions.
- Ross, Russell Harding, 1895 October 20-1976 November 12 (Person)
- Ross, Florence Mae, -1988 March 7 (Person)
- Ross, George Thomas, -1909 November 26 (Person)
- Ross, James W., -1956 October 27 (Person)
- Ross, Mary B., -1951 May 27 (Person)
- Ross, Robert Cooke, -1968 August 6 (Person)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
The Ross family members were Duluth residents. During the years represented by the photographs they resided at 1830 Jefferson Street and 1820 East Sixth Street. Members of the family included: George Thomas Ross (d. 1909 November 16) and his spouse Mary B. Ross (d. 1951 May 27), and their four children James W. Ross (d.1956 October 27?), Robert Cooke Ross (d.1967 August 6), Russell Harding Ross (b. 1895 October 20 d. 1976 November 12), Florence Mae Ross (d.1988 March 7). James and Robert Ross were employed by Northern Pacific Railway, Russell Ross was an engineer for Minnesota Power and Light, and Florence Ross was a local musician and piano teacher.
Language of Materials
The collection consists of two photograph albums. The first contains family photos with some descriptive information in the first section of the album. The second contains photos of Minnesota Power and Light installations with dates and descriptions.
Arrangement of Materials:
Album 1 contains photos of family members, friends, pets, trips and outings, and local Duluth scenes. Photos in this album are arranged by date. Documentation of the dates and subjects of the photos drops off after 1937.
Album 2 consists primarily of photos of Minnesota Power & Light Co. hydroelectric power stations and substations. There is an extensive section documenting construction of the hydroelectric station at Fond du Lac Minnesota in 1924. There are also photos of a transformer accident at Fond du Lac in the same year.
This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 218-726-8526.
Other Finding Aids
- Animals Subject Source: Local sources
- Duluth (Minn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Duluth (Minn.)--History--Pictorial works Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Families Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Fond du Lac (Duluth, Minn.) Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Minnesota Power and Light Company
- Photograph Albums Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Photographs Subject Source: Local sources
- Guide to the Ross family photograph albums
- Finding Aid Authors: M. David.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001