Lakeshore Bypass Committee records
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a small quantity of notes, research materials, incorporation papers, financial records, legal briefs, correspondence, and newspaper clippings. See Serials File for additional issues of Lakeshore By-Pass News, and related collection S4441 Virginia Hyvarinen Papers, and STOP the Freeway materials.
- Lakeshore By-Pass Committee. Inc. (Organization)
Conditions Governing Access
Open for use in the Kathryn A. Martin Library, Archives and Special Collections.
Conditions Governing Use
This collection may be protected by the Copyright Law of the United States (Title 17, U.S. Code). It is the user's responsibility to verify copyright ownership and to obtain all necessary permissions prior to the reproduction, publication, or other use of any portion of these materials. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provision of the copyright law.
Biographical / Historical
An extension of the I-35 freeway through Duluth began in the 1950s. Aspects of the freeway corridor were debated from the start: costs, displacement, demolition, jobs, materials, duration, environmental impact, etc. The non-profit corporation Lakeshore By-Pass Committee, Inc. was formed by incorporators Arno S. Kahn, Eric Ringsred and Terry McCarthy December 21, 1982 and signed and authorized by the Secretary of State on December 23. These Duluthians formed this grass-roots organization "to employ a staff person, retain an attorney, and hire several consultants to assist in researching and working on an alternative to the proposed extension of Interstate Highway 35 through Duluth, Minnesota." Volume 1, number 1 issue of the Lakeshore ByPass News is dated November 23, 1982.
4 linear inches
Language of Materials
The collection consists of a small quantity of notes, research materials, incorporation papers, financial records, legal briefs, correspondence, and newspaper clippings.
This collection is located at the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives. For more information about this collection or to make an appointment, contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 218-726-8526.
This collection is part of the Northeast Minnesota Historical Collections, which are housed in the University of Minnesota Duluth Archives at the Kathryn A. Martin Library.
- Articles of incorporation Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Correspondence Subject Source: Local sources
- Duluth (Minn.)--History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Financial records Subject Source: Art & Architecture Thesaurus
- I-35 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Interstate 35 Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Newspaper clippings Subject Source: Local sources
- Nonprofit organizations Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Organizations Subject Source: Local sources
- Political activists Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Guide to the Lakeshore Bypass Committee records
- Finding Aid Authors: P. Maus.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
Collecting Area Details
Contact The University of Minnesota Duluth Archives and Special Collections Collecting Area
Kathryn A. Martin Library
University of Minnesota Duluth
416 Library Drive
Duluth MN 55812-3001