Divisions and Disciplines, 1960-2011
Scope and Contents
- Box 1
- Physical education and facilities 1974-75, discontinuation of Major, Art history 1985, bachelor of science degree 68-69, education division (74-75, 76-77, 79-80, 81-82, 82-83, 86-87, 87-88,) education division house appropriations 74-75, education division visit 87-88, science and math division (74-75, 77-78, 78-79, 79-80, 80-81, 82-83, 83-84, 84-85, 85-86, 86-87, 87-88, 91-92, 92-93, 93-94, 94-95) science division reorganization, science and math governance, chemistry 92-93, chemistry review October 1994, math contest 1977-78, math and English classification, mathematic self-study report 95, social sciences (79-80, 82-83, 85-86, 86-87, 87-88, 91-92, 92-93, 93-94, 94-95) humanities (79-80, 80-81, 84-85, 91-92, 92-93, 93-94, 94-95), foreign language (84-85, 87-88), French 91-92, marathon dance for muscular dystrophy, music 5 year plan, music department, music educators national conference, music fees 76-77, band 85-86, band tour, choir (85-86, 86-87, 90-91, 91-92,92-93) choir coffee shop, history discussion seminars, historical research center (76-77, 77-78, 80-81, 81-82) historical research project, history self-study report, west central Minnesota historical center, P.E., phy. Ed. Programs (comparative data)
- Creation: 1960-2011
- Imholte, John Q. (Correspondent, Person)
- Blake, Elizabeth S. (Correspondent, Person)
- Korth, Michael Steven (Correspondent, Person)
- Ahern, Wilbert H. (1942-2016) (Correspondent, Person)
- Farrell, C. Frederick (Correspondent, Person)
1.25 Linear Feet
Language of Materials
The materials in this record sub-series date from the late 1960s to the mid 1990s and consist of brochures, correspondence, memoranda, newsletters from the Division of Science and Mathematics and notes. Some of the notes are handwritten, and most are from the pen of Dean Elizabeth (Bettina) Blake. Some, however, were authored by John Q. Imholte. Some of the memoranda also originated in the dean's office and thus reflect the close working relationship between the dean and chancellor (the title was provost for most of this time) throughout much of this period.
These records are reflective of the relationship of the administration to the various divisions and disciplines and deal with multiple issues. Some records have to do with personnel matters and especially with division chairs. Files report on the controversy surrounding the resignation of the chair of Education in 1982 and on conflicts within Science and Math in the 1960s and 1970s.
Programmatic concerns are also well represented. These range from the decision in 1969 to terminate a B.S. program in Elementary Education (it allowed elementary school teachers with a two-year degree to earn a bachelor's degree) to discussions on the Health Education major to a number of files on the West Central Minnesota Historical Research Center during its early years.
Also of interest is the file labled "History Discussion Seminars" which contains a report authored by the young Thomas McRoberts on an early experiment to use teaching assistants in history survey courses, materials on division chair reviews, and a large file on the question of women's athletics and locker room facilities. Contained within this file, labeled "Physical Education and Facilities," are hand-written notes written by Provost Imholte in which he muses about the future direction of the college and whether UMM ought to adopt a "Carlton College Approach." These were apparently misfiled.
Key Words: Divisions, West Central Minnesota Historical Research Center, Health Education.
Correspondents: John Q. Imholte, Bettina Blake, Michael Korth, Wilbert Ahern, Frederick Farrell.
A file labeled "French 1991=91" was removed, September 2013, as it contained materials from a search committee in French, 1991-92.
- University of Minnesota, Morris. Division of Science & Math (Organization)
- University of Minnesota, Morris. Division of Education (Organization)
- University of Minnesota, Morris. Division of Humanities (Organization)
- University of Minnesota, Morris. Division of Social Science (Organization)
- University of Minnesota, Morris. Division Chairs (Organization)