Albrecht J. Neumann papers
Scope and Content Note
The collection consists of Albrecht Neumann's files, dating from 1947 to 1980, which document some aspects of his work with General Electric, as well as other companies in the computer industry, and at the National Bureau of Standards. Topics include: the ERA 1103 and IBM 701 computers, the Joint Numerical Weather Prediction Unit, standardization in the computer industry, and the Whirlwind Computer project.
- Neumann, Albrecht J. (Person)
Language of Materials
Access to materials:
Access to the collection is unrestricted.
CBI does not hold the copyright to this collection. Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provisions of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code).
Albrecht J. Neumann received his undergraduate and master's degree in electrical engineering from Columbia University. Neumann's work history included employment at Radio Corporation of America as a research and development engineer, the Eckert-Mauchly Computer Corporation on the UNIVAC, teaching at the University of Pennsylvania, and working on development with the Office of Naval Research before joining General Electric. From 1970-1985, he worked at the National Bureau of Standards (NBS) as a specialist in standards development for computer systems. While at NBS, he taught courses on computer and information systems at American University as well as writing articles for technical publications.
2 boxes (0.8 cubic feet)
Collection consists of subject files created by Albrecht Neumann that document some aspects of his work with General Electric, as well as with other companies in the computer industry, and at the National Bureau of Standards.
The records were given to the Charles Babbage Institute by Mrs. Albrecht J. Neumann in 1987.
- Computer Industry -- United States -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Computer industry -- United States -- Standards. Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- Computers -- United States -- History Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- ERA 1103 (Computer) Subject Source: Unspecified ingested source
- General Electric Company
- IBM 701 (Computer) Subject Source: Local sources
- Joint Numerical Weather Prediction Unit (U.S.)
- Neumann, Albrecht J.
- United States. National Bureau of Standards
- Whirlwind computer. Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
- Albrecht J. Neumann Papers, 1947-1980. Finding Aid.
- Prepared by Kevin D. Corbitt, August 1991.
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note
Collecting Area Details
Contact The Charles Babbage Institute Archives Collecting Area
Elmer L. Andersen Library
222 - 21st Avenue South
Minneapolis MN 55455