Burroughs Corporation records. Paoli area divisions records
Identifier: CBI 90, Series 61
Scope and Content Note
Collection contains research reports and memos, covering many computers and other machines that Burroughs produced. These reports are arranged into seventeen series as outlined below by their title or type. Reports within each series are arranged by prominent identification numbers or alphabetically if consistent identification numbers are not used.
Scope and Contents This is one series of the Burroughs Corporation Records (CBI 90). Please see the other series finding aids for further information regarding the Burroughs Corporation.
- Burroughs Corporation (Organization)
Language of Materials
Access to materials:
Access to the collection is unrestricted.
The Charles Babbage Institute holds the copyright to all materials in the collection, except for items covered by a prior copyright (such as published materials). Researchers may quote from the collection under the fair use provisions of the copyright law (Title 17, U.S. Code).
Burroughs had a large research branch in Paoli, Pennsylvania. This started out with rented quarters in Philadelphia in the late 1940's, but eventually grew to include two research laboratories (one in Paoli and one about three miles away). Collectively they were known as the Great Valley Laboratories, but at Burroughs they were the Paoli labs. In addition to the general research work done at Paoli, the Defense, Space, and Special Systems Division was also located here.
21 boxes (21 cubic feet))
Collection contains research reports and memos, covering many computers and other machines that Burroughs produced.
The materials in this collection are arranged into the following groups:
- Technical Reports, 1955-1977
- Paoli Proposals, 1957-1964
- HB Report Series (includes trip reports), 1957-1964
- Author File (Paoli reports), 1949-1969
- Interim Reports, 1950-1962
- Management Reports, 1956-1962
- Project Memoranda, 1960-1962
- Reference Memoranda, 1956-1963
- Optical Character Recognition Papers, 1958-1964
- BJ Report Series, 1965-1968
- Special Projects, 1953-1960
- Military Systems Reports, 1957-1959
- Philadelphia Monthly Technical Progress Reports and Technical Memoranda, 1951-1958
- Monthly Technical Progress Reports, 1961-1964
- Technical Memoranda, 1952-1955
- General Paoli Reports, 1950-1969
- Defense, Space, and Special Systems Group Reports, 1969-1971
The records were given to the Charles Babbage Institute by Unisys Corporation in 1991, accession 991-35.
- Burroughs Corporation Records. Paoli Area Divisions Records, 1949-1977. Finding Aid.
- Prepared by Susan A. Stepka and Caroline Gasser, February 1977.
- February 1997
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Language of description note